Monday, August 08, 2011

Elie Saab Fall 2011 Couture Collection

Okaaay ! I’m sorry I didn’t start earlier, but I was kinda busy you see ??? Well… As I’ve been saying, it’s time to start showing you guys what the lebanese designers came up with for their Fall 2011 couture collections (actually we hardly have any ready-to-wear collections so it’s probably the only collections you’ll see).
And I figured I’d start with the most famous one… The (great) Elie Saab.
As a general matter of fact, I don’t like Saab’s work. Okay, it’s beautiful, simple, classy, eternally chic or whatever, but that’s exactly it; it’s too simple, too classy, too chic, and to me it totally lacks caracter and style, it’s absolutely not forward, simply re-editions, revesited classics. Everything’s in the drape, the embroidery, the lace, etc. But somehow you just can’t look at his work and feel like puking, they are appealing, it’s a fact, but they’ll never move me enough, they’re not exceptional pieces of art you see ? Just plain, great and déjà-vu harmony.
So, as everything is beautiful and there are no faux-pas (of course he doesn’t take risks !), I have selected a few favorites just to show you a bit of the collection, and you can see more here.
Elie Saab Fall 2011 (2) Elie Saab Fall 2011 (3)
(Love this…)
Elie Saab Fall 2011 (4)  Elie Saab Fall 2011
(And this one too…)
Elie Saab Fall 2011 (5)
(This one’s stunning.)
Elie Saab Fall 2011 (6)
(This one’s actually kind of original…)
Elie Saab Fall 2011 (7) Elie Saab Fall 2011 (8)




And the wedding dress...


Do you get me now ?
Anyway, girls will always love him, and you just have to like his designs. He pleases, that’s sure, but I don’t know how much he’ll mark the world, the debate here is about what he brings to fashion, and I’d be glad to hear your opinion !
Elie Saab
Also on the subject of creativity, originality, art. I tend to think that it’s a designer’s choice to do art, or to sell. I mean, Lagerfeld, Valli, Saab, they seem to create things that will please, unlike McQueen, Galliano or Gaultier, whom creations, I’m sure are not bought that much but are true masterpieces. I guess the best deal, (and the hardest), is to adapt originality to the common ‘taste’, but that means you’d have to give up on some details I’m sure McQueen would have never gave up on (but Sarah Burton did), and I feel that the designers who best fit this categorie are people like Armani, Prada, Tisci, or Alaïa.
As for me, I don’t know if I’d be ready to work under money’s yoke, what’s your say about all this ?
Photos source: Style.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment