Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hogan McLaughlin

Yo people ! Ready to read about an extraordinary artist ? I’ve discovered him only a while ago and here’s how it went: I was (once again) ‘’surfing’’ on the web, checking my favorite icon Daphne Guinness’ latest appearances and projects when I stumbled on these amazing ‘’knife-inspired’’ heelless shoes she comissioned:

media_httpgraphics8ny_bbifn-scaled500 tumblr_lib40q8cVJ1qghk5xo1_500 tumblr_li291g53Rx1qghk5xo1_500tumblr_ljcck7CfUN1qghk5xo1_500

Well, as you should know, I wasn’t ready to just admire these. I needed to know who was the mind behind this eery metallic dream. So I started googling, and it didn’t required a lot to find out who the artist was, I ended up on Hogan McLaughlin’s website that features his newest fashion collection and some ink artworks, my first thought was: ‘’Hey let’s send him a message to know even more !’’. And I’ve been surprised by the speed at which he answered me.

I’m not gonna describe his work now, simply take a look at my favorites outfits and artworks, then he’ll talk about himself to you by answering some questions I sent him.

Fashion Collection

yBzpp_KyubohMVK0KCdp3_x8jypd1O9U Hogan McLaughlin (2)Hogan McLaughlin9QvDwIBMHiGcVdMT2u2XfIldF2pMu2HUJKTEFLhhyPe80xtZxKnSUo564PwWR_Gb90CaWdTv1Uvg5dTZMUbPkpzJnd651gCGQ_RXIRhlKU7kN0Uto38YyYlA8EKFZUPVyYKf5tFh8y4pnOSUOrjnRM53WCM4MPMjRYOjpBzzwk0pttsB WK1dw2aFdhtlnzmc 

I bet Alexander McQueen’s one of his favorites, and I’m really not surprised he’s on of Daphne’s picks (thank you Daphne, thank you).

I really like his style, I’m in awe, all I can think of is his next collection, that I hope will include much more outfits ! If I were a girl I wouldn’t think of something else to wear at night.

 

Fine Art

Insomniac Olympics (2009) 

Insomniac Olympics (2009)

Insomniac Olympics (2009) 2 

Detail from ‘’Insomniac Olympics’’ (2009)

Blood Collage (2006-2009)

Blood Collage (2006-2009)

HBOITF (2011)

HB:OITF (2011)

These works are true testimonials of Hogan’s passion, they embody so much effort that you can’t be left untouched. their strength is simply overwhelming.

 

In an attempt to set a frame

Where are you from ?

A suburb of Chicago, called River Forest.

Where are you based ?

I live in both New York and Chicago.

What is your educational background ?

When I was 16, I joined a dance company in Chicago, so I finished high school via correspondence, due to the rigorous touring schedule - no college.

Where are you and what is surrounding you right now?

I am staying with my family right now, so I am in the kitchen, drawing sketches for the next fashion collection.

What did you do in the past twenty-four hours?

Flew from New York to Chicago, read the majority of George R. R. Martin’s A Feast for Crows, and began working on the sketches.

 

As an introduction to his work

As far as you can go, what is your earliest memory linked to art?

I think it was drawing Disney characters. For my second birthday, I “helped” my parents to create these cutouts of the characters in Beauty and the Beast.

What, or who, pushed you into art?

No one- I guess myself. It was always something I did on whatever paper was lying around. My school notebooks were filled with more sketches than studies.

What is your definition of art?

Something the viewer finds beautiful, and can transport you to a different state of mind.

What is your definition of beauty?

Something within the eye of the beholder (cheesy, but so true).

Which is more important the process or the product?

That’s really tough. As far as ink pieces, the process is extremely grueling and tedious. It’s a bit masochistic, but worth it for the product. In terms of fashion, I’m not well versed in the construction aspect, so it’s an interesting learning process, but still awesome to see the product. I’m not sure if I really answered the question but that’s how I feel haha.

 

About his work

How would you describe your work?

Stylized, thoughtful, evocative.

What part of your work is the most important?

Sharing it with family and friends.

Where do you find inspiration?

History, folklore, music very much, dance, the human form.

What kind of artistic expression do you look at for inspiration?

Every form- you never know what will strike your interest.

What kind of artists do you look up to?

Musicians- improvisational and troubadour, detail-oriented painters and sculptors, a handful of fashion designers.

Who are the people you want to reach with your work?

Anyone who feels something, positive or negative, when they see it.

Are creative collaborations important to you?

Very much so, but it’s also nice to have free reign to do exactly what you envision.

So far, what was your most interesting collaboration ?

When I first met Daphne Guinness, I was linked with stylist GK Reid, who helped find the best people to create the drawings I had done. From there, we worked with photographers Markus Klinko and Indrani on a film and photo shoot for a really spectacular project that has yet to be released.

Do you have any favorite artwork so far ? Which one ?

For inks, my favorite is a 9-foot behemoth called “Dead Queen,” which I created at the end of 2010. For fashion, I really love the coat that Daphne wore to her FIT Exhibition opening. It took around 100 hours to make but is so gorgeous, so it’s worth it.

03-778708_0x440 01-1185872_0x440

Daphne Guinness wearing the coat by Hogan McLaughlin.

2tELiWDtk1YSTeK8

Dead Queen (2010)

 

About his career

What satisfies you?

When do you consider something achieved? I’m never satisfied so I usually gage other’s reactions to things to see if I’m actually done.

What, or who, has been the greatest influence on your career ?

My family and friends for always keeping me positive.

What, or who, is the motor of your career ?

Constant inspiration, everywhere.

What are your future plans, your next step ?

Finally beginning the ink commissions I had to put off due to the production of the fashion collection, and beginning work on the next fashion collection for February.

 

JOdGQehXh7ucdkVO

 

I would like to thank Hogan McLaughlin for answering so fast and so meticulously to these questions, and for giving me access to his pictures as fast as he answered my message. Also for being who he is and because he’s already working on his next collection.

I would also like to thank Daphne Guinness and modern technologies for bringing to us amazing artists like Hogan everyday and with so much ease. I can’t help thinking about all the undiscovered wonders that walk around us everyday. I want them to stop being whispers, I want them to be shouting…

I hope you enjoy Hogan’s work as much as I do, if not let me know why… Adn stay tuned for upcoming discoveries, and news.

See ya !

No comments:

Post a Comment