Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Iris Schieferstein

Let’s take a break from fashion. After all, this blog is dedicated to true discoveries. Today, I present to you an amazing and very inspiring, very special artist: Iris Schieferstein.

I don’t quite recall how I discovered Iris, some of her works have been in my gallery for ages, like many pictures that fascinate me, they were hanging there in a folder, nameless. It’s only a while ago that I managed to put a name on these artworks, when I stumbled on her creations in a book. I kept the name in mind (actually on my phone, cause my mind sucks), and as soon as I arrived home I checked all of her work online, it’s little to say that I was stunned by this woman’s talent and originality.

People may talk about her as much as they want, I’ll always admire this artist for the simple reason that she manages to create beautiful artworks in a never-seen-before way that actually say a lot and get to your mind. You’ll understand very soon what I mean: you can’t stay still in front of her work, you’ll always be moved in some way. Her art creates reactions, her art inspires, and that’s a virtue of art we tend to forget nowadays.

So mainly, Iris does sculptures and installations using dead animals, but also photographs and objects such as shoes, chandeliers, etc. I know it might sound gross to work with dead animals, but try to get ahead of it, be open-minded, use your mind and you’ll get her. Whatever the canvas is, her work always carry a certain message, a certain meaning, it’s not just provocation or beauty, there’s much more to Iris’ work and that’s why she’s worth my time.

Anyway, when it comes to art I think we always talk too much instead of just feeling, and that’s why I’ll now shut up, show you my favorite artworks, then share with you her answers to my questions. I won’t even share my interpretation of her artworks, my mission’s to bring art to you, and I hate to impose my point of view, if you want to discuss her work, you know how to contact me.

 Fred

Fred, 1997

schieferstein

Ohne Titel, 2000

 Iris_Schieferstein_-_ELVIS

Elvis, 2000

Hundskerle-II

Hundskerl 2, 2000

hubby2h_b

Hubby 2, 2007

IRIS-Hubby-Seite-G-e1307405368519

Hubby 3+1, 2008

570-800--_iris_schieferstein_temptation_bird_pigeons_shoes

2009

Snakepistol

Snakepistol, 2007

IRIS-shoe-1-e1307405031973

Vegas Girl, 2009

IRIS-Leuchter-Steph-e1307405443383

Leuchter, 2008

IRIS-badewanne-e1307404989551

‘’I can be who I want as long as I know who I am’’

I can be…, 2004

Oversexedunderfucked

2003

 IRIS-she_thought-2005-e1307405060197

She thought…, 2005

IRIS-msofa_2-e1307405408383

Muttertier 2, 1998

 

In an attempt to set a frame

Where are you from?

I am from Germany.

Where are you based?

I am based in Berlin.

What is your educational background?

I studied art and sculpture.

Where are you and what is surrounding you right now?

I am at home and sunlight is around me.

What did you do in the past twenty-four hours?

Jesus... Was riding, washing, making dinner and breakfast for my children, sleeping, working on my new sculpture.....Things all people usually do.

 

As an introduction to her work

As far as you can go, what is your earliest memory linked to art?

The sculptures on old cemeteries were fascinating me, and my parents took me to the ‘documenta’ when I was 4 or 5 years old, which I did not like.

What, or who, pushed you into art?

Nobody, it is in my blood. Actually, everybody told me not to study art.

What is your definition of art?

Another voice to speak, another view to see another sound to hear.

What is your definition of beauty?

Beauty comes from inside but it only works with the opposite, otherwise it is boring.

Which is more important the process or the product?

The product, because it is the essence of the thoughts and the process.

 

About her work

How would you describe your work?

I am not going to describe my work, give this part to other people.

What part of your work is the most important?

The resolve.

Where do you find inspiration?

Everywhere... In politics, in life, in nature, in everything surrounding me

What kind of expression do you look at for inspiration?

It depends on the work.

What kind of artists do you look up to?

I respect all artists that give emotion to people.

Who are the people you want to reach with your work?

Everyone.

Are creative collaborations important to you?

No. It is interesting and it is good to know that other people probably think the same way.

So far, what was the most interesting collaboration?

Can´t remember that there was one.

Do you have any favorite work so far ? Which one?

Not really, probably ‘head 4’.

IRIS-HEAD-4-Schlangenkopf-e1307405182567

Head 4, 2002

 

About her career

What satisfies you? When do you consider something achieved?

Art, my children, love, but also when people get touched by my objects or sculptures.

What, or who, has been the greatest influence on your career?

The first one was Dali, when I was a child, then I met Florian Trümbach , but also the really old masters... As well as David Lynch,Tracy Emin , Louise Bourgeois.......and plenty more.

What, or who, is the motor of your career?

Me.

What are your future plans, your next step?

I want to make a demonstration in Berlin, wearing a sheep mask on and riding a horse, to become a Joanne of Arc character, because I feel like a sheep. There might be plenty of artists and people who feel the same.

Unter_Schafen,_englisch

I would like to thank Iris Schieferstein for her dedication, for the time she accorded answering these questions, for the pictures, and especially for being one of them. This post’s to her succes !

I hope you agree with me and enjoy this discovery as much as I do. If not, let me know why, I’m always open for discussion and feedback is always welcome.

Peace, Love and Art !

See ya !

No comments:

Post a Comment